Skip to main content

Our Infertility Journey

We made the decision to stop taking birth control while sitting in a booth at In-N-Out. Jk and I had been married for one year. I was a college graduate, working full-time (at a job I wasn’t crazy about). Jk had a few more semesters and was working part-time. I had one more pack of birth control pills and life was going well.
It wasn’t our first time having the discussion, but that day, over a Neapolitan shake and fries, it finally felt right. We decided that we weren’t going to actively TRY to get pregnant, but we weren’t going to prevent it from happening either. I was going to finish taking the remaining pills and what happened after that would be up to Heavenly Father. I remember feeling so nervous and excited. The decision was made.

Months went by with only one glimmer of hope, followed immediately by a letdown. I was struggling to stay positive while stress came at me from every angle. I was on the cusp of quitting my job; a friend I had once been close to passed away; and it seemed like everyone around me was either announcing pregnancies or having babies. There were nights when I would cry into my pillow and pray for hours, but there were plenty of times that I avoided prayer. I thought, Heavenly Father knows my deepest desires and if He wants to ignore those, I have nothing else to ask Him. I was aware that things weren’t happening quickly for us, but I tried to remember what Google said: 6 months to 1 year.

For months, I only confided in my husband and my best friend. I didn’t have many words to explain what I was going through. I felt ashamed and embarrassed. I was worried that if I expressed myself to others, I wouldn’t be taken seriously. I didn’t want to hear that we were too young or hadn’t been married long enough. Most of all, I did not want anyone telling me that we hadn’t been trying THAT long. I had legitimate fears about our future and the possibility that I would never be able to get pregnant. I didn't need “practical” advice. For this reason, I put off seeing a doctor (I’m still working up the courage to write about that).

When we hit the year mark, I actually felt more relief than despair. The situation I had been struggling with for so long was finally a "problem" that even Google could acknowledge. I reached the point where I felt like I could open up.

As I have shared our trials and anxieties, I have received a variety of responses. Among them, I have felt silly, discouraged, and belittled. But mostly, I have felt a lot of love. Friends, family, and strangers sharing experiences, articles, and advice. Thank you, thank you, thank you. I never knew that I was searching for a community until I found it. And if you are reading this and are experiencing infertility, please consider contacting me. This kind of heartache requires a friend.

While we continue to struggle, I have to give credit to my Heavenly Father. I have had several gentle reminders that He is aware of me. Despite our struggles, we are beyond grateful for the blessings He has given us. Because of Him, I have felt strength beyond my own. Through it all, I am discovering the person that He wants me to be.

“You can have what you want, or you can have something better.” - Jeffrey R. Holland

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Getting an Answer!

For 400+ days, my husband and I had no idea why we couldn’t get pregnant. This week, we got our answer!

We were scheduled for an appointment with the fertility doctor in the late afternoon on Monday. All throughout the morning, my chest was filled with excitement and anticipation. This was the appointment when we would hear the results from our tests and we would make a plan for how to move forward! In my mind, I ran through every possible outcome—a problem with me; with Jk; with both of us; with neither. More than anything, I just wanted clear answers!
The weather and roads were really bad that day, so our doctor was running a little late with his appointments. Jk and I sat in the waiting room for nearly 30 minutes, going half crazy. Finally, we were taken back to speak with the doctor. I tried to gauge what kind of news he had for us, but his handshake wasn’t giving anything away.  Finally (FINALLY!), we received our test results... It turns out that I’m a Fertile Myrtle! All this …

Expecting to Be Expecting

I’ve written and re-written this post so many times, I’m out of clever comparisons and easy ways to explain what we’re going through. So I’ll just say it.
In December 2015, Jk and I stopped taking birth control. After a year of expecting to be expecting, we’re not even close. We’ve confided in very few friends and family members up to this point, but lately I’ve realized that something therapeutic happens inside when you let a secret out.
While sitting in church on Sunday, I had a revelation. It should have occurred to me sooner but I definitely wasn’t ready for it. This is the thought I had… Make this process of starting a family as fun as possible! It won’t be the way I had previously imagined. Taking a pregnancy test, surprising Jk, finding out the gender, having a baby. But when have we ever been traditional?
For this reason, I’ve decided to share our journey openly and honestly. It will be hard—it already has been—but I want to document it all. Doctors’ appointments, medical tes…

A Surprise Call from the Fertility Doctor

Most days, I do okay. But some days I'm just over this infertility thing. For a few months now, we have shared our ups and downs and it wasn’t until recently that I ran out of words. Two weeks ago, we received a phone call and then a letter confirming that our insurance provider would not pay for In Vitro Fertilization (IVF). I took the news, swallowed it, and let it break my heart. I get that we were put on this earth to grow and all, but lately my prayers have been a little like: Thanks but no thanks, Heavenly Father. I think I’m good on the growing thing.

Today He responded, Nope, and sent another bump in the road.

I was sitting at work when my cell phone started vibrating and my caller ID read, Reproductive Care Center. It’s been a few weeks since we talked with our fertility clinic; I just assumed that because our plan fell through, there was nothing else to follow-up on. Curious, I answered the phone and expected to hear the voice of a nurse or receptionist. Instead, I sp…