The Best and Worst of Seattle

Hello from the place of all overcast days: Seattle, Washington! My husband is interning with Facebook this summer, so we are here in Seattle for just 12 weeks, living and working in the city. We’ve officially been in our one-bed, one-bath apartment for 8 weeks now, which I think is long enough to draw a few conclusions. Here is my mid-summer assessment of the best and worst of Seattle!

Free Seattle:
The best part of Seattle for me has been the amount of COMPLETELY FREE, totally enjoyable things that there are to do. Museums, parks, markets, exhibits! Some things are free all day every day. Others you just have to know the right time or the right way to get tickets. (Maybe I’ll do a separate post of all things Free Seattle!) 

When we found out that we would be moving, Jk and I started compiling a Seattle Bucket List. It was important to me to find worthwhile but FREE things. We are still saving up for adoption and the future, so I knew that we would have to be smart about our adventures. Our list has continued to grow during our time here.

I have loved making memories with my husband and family members who are visiting—but I’ve also enjoyed the time spent exploring on my own. Every time I’m not working, I have a decision to make: stay home and Netflix, or go explore the city by myself. Some days, it is hard to find the motivation, but every time I leave the apartment and find something new, it is completely worth it. Seattle has loads of fun, free activities within walking distance from our apartment!

Right away, we knew that our car would not be the best mode of transportation through the city. So I decided that any destination under 3 miles was a feasible walk. When travelling by foot, gas prices and paid parking aren’t an issue. An added benefit of traveling by foot through the city, I’ve discovered, is that it’s easy to stumble on underrated locations. There are sculptures, parks, restaurants, and eclectic shops that can only be noticed as a pedestrian. Another obvious perk of walking is that you avoid traffic/road rage (don’t ask how long I honk when people cut me off).


The Seattle Freeze:
Moving here from Arizona, what I have found to be even worse than the cold weather has been the cold shoulder. There is an actual term dedicated to the unfriendliness of the city called the “Seattle Freeze.” It is the widely held belief that Seattle is a lonely city where it is especially difficult to find friends. I found this to be true many weeks before I knew that there was a name for it.

Of course there are exceptions, but overall my experience has been that strangers are not interested in other strangers. Whether riding in an elevator, walking on the street, or sitting next to someone in public, people tend to keep to themselves. To move to a new place and spend every day alone has been more difficult than I expected. After several attempts to go outside my comfort zone and reach out to others, I felt like there was no point. In fact, I had been so honest as to confide in a few women at church, telling them I was having a hard time because I had no friends. I was told, “I’m sure you’ll find somebody.” I continued to find nobody. I finally broke down and sobbed to my husband because I felt so lonely. I was being productive and getting out of the apartment; I was praying for friends and making an effort to find them; I was eating healthy and exercising regularly—it seemed that the only thing missing was a friend.

Over the course of 8 weeks, things have gotten better. One of the greatest blessings is when family and friends visit us from out of town! Also, through nannying I’ve met some wonderful families and had great conversations with parents. Another significant change has been to attend a different ward in church. These few avenues for connecting with others have made all the difference! 


With just a month left in Seattle, I am determined to tackle the rest of our Bucket List. It has been amazing to experience new art, nature, and culture. Even though it has been a hard summer, I’ll never regret our time spent here. The difficult times have helped me to learn a lot about myself and have given me a new perspective on ministering. And of course, through it all, I’ve had my best friend by my side to support me. I’m so grateful for my husband and his hard work that has provided us with the opportunity to live here for the summer. Here in Seattle, I’ve had the best of times and the worst of times—all while being in love.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Ovulation Test

The Second Pregnancy Test

Coming out of the Infertility Closet